Re: Max number of tables in a db? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Max number of tables in a db?
Date
List pgsql-general
> The web site lists a lot of the limitations for postgresql,  but not the
> max number of tables that are allowed in a given db.  Anyone care to come
> up with a number?

It is limited by your filesystem's ability to handle large directories.
I have noticed in the past (not with PostgreSQL per se) that ~3000 files
in a directory is noticably slower that a typically small directory.

afaik that is the only real limitation, so you can try some timing and
performance tests using, for example, a perl script to create and access
a large number of files.

                      - Thomas