Re: Postgres User and Password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From R Talbot
Subject Re: Postgres User and Password
Date
create function .... return record  ("Chris Mulcahy" <cmulcahy@cmulcahy.com>)
List pgsql-general
GH wrote:

> > But, if I try this as a user
> > Bob@thinkpad Bob]# su postgres ............. My results is
> >  password:                                          ............ Then no
> > matter whats entered, even NULL
>
> Did you expect anything different?
> Trying to su from an unprivileged user to any user with no password
> should fail miserably.

But I gave user Postgres a password

> > ........... I get
> > su: incorrect password
> >
> > I had no password for User postgres but I finally gave it one but no
> > help..
>
> That indicates a greater problem with your system. Try resetting it
> so postgres has no password, and try su'ing as root.

    But this problem exists on 3 Postgres src installs on 2 different Linux
  versions where on each I can su from user Bob to all other user with
   their passwords without a hitch.
   The only user that stops me is Postgres?????

> > Very inconvenient to log in as root then su postgres then back to User
> > login to
> > development tools..
>
> I have no idea why you would do that.

  You are indicating I should not do what?
     Login as root then su to postgres or
     Log back to user  to use development tools?
        I do not auto start any servers because....
          I am doing comparative development and each
           development machine all 5 have installed
               Sybase...DB2...PostgreSQL..MySQL..
                I don't want all 4 RDBMS running only the
                 current working develpment session.
                So, I manually start Database servers.

> You can have the server start automatically upon boot.
> Beyond that, you have no need to 'su postgres'. You can use psql as any
> user on the machine (provided the permissions are all set correctly).
> Can you be more specific about what the 'problem' is?

    GH ...See more above.. : )
    Comments :The OS/2 version (compiled by Team Italia) installed
              automatically in 5 minutes, with folders on the desktop V.7.0.2

              and has run perfectly.. As I run caldera 2.3 and 2.4 edesktops,

              the Postgres binary RPM will only work with 2.3 Caldera
               eserver.
            I even called GreatBridge and offered CASH money for help to
               set up for Caldera edesktop. They said, BEYOND our SCOPE.
               Did not give me confidence in their abilities.
             I finally compiled my own from source 3 times with various
           problems. i.e. I use jave so I sought out Apache  ant.jar..
      Not a straight road for my Linux Experience.
       Which is why I am still evaluating  4 RDBMS.
Not to mention  ;^)
     I have tried setting my subcription in General-Postgres to NOMAIL
      for 60 days with no sucess. My mailbox gets up to 500 emails a
      day.
  Postgres has a lot going for it. I like the way it works ( in OS/2).
   but I am first a Linux user.
   Unless my tools work right, I can't get this project off the ground.

  Once again thank you very much for your time.. Any further input
is much appreciated.

  Bob T