Re: Storage limits in PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: Storage limits in PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen wrote:

 >>ACTION: copy 109,128 characters into a phpPgAdmin "Edit" text entry box.
 >>

 >>RESULT: phpPgAdmin cuts off the copy at 28,652 characters [no more
 >>accepted in box]
 >>UPDATE EMPTY text cell:
 >>RESULT: accepted [that is, it accepted 28,652 characters]
 >>

 > Most browsers only accept 32K in a text box.  Netscape for sure
accepts no
 > more than 32K. Plus, you have the webserver's POST limits to contend
with.
 > With a web-based system it is often easy to forget that many
limitations are
 > browser issues....I know I have forgotten about them in times past.

Something I do every know and again illustrates this perfectly:

if I need to understand how a page is built I'll copy the page source
code and paste it into a Dreamweaver page. Using Mozilla most pages have
to be copy / pasted in at least two passes.

32 K is playing with the devil - I wouldn't try over 24. Makes designing
web apps "fun".

Cheers

Tony Grant

--