Re: Stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: Stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:19:41AM +0530, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know about the stored procedures.

I suspect this is covered in the documentation, and I should probably
force to at least look, but here we go anyway.

> 1: What are the stored procedures?

A stored procedure is a basically "compiled" series of instruction to the
database which are, well, stored and called by an outside client or a
trigger, or whatever. It is my understanding that stored procedures can
be written in (generally) any language supported by the database (which
for PostgreSQL is at least SQL, C, and maybe Python and some others).

> 2: How they are used in database server?

Like a regular function, if I recall correctly.

> 3: How the developer can make use of those stored procedures?

Er, same as [2], maybe?

> 4: Where I can get stored procedures for PostgreSQL in its directory?

I propose you write them. There may be some public libraries, but none
that I know of. (Although, I am not someone who *would* know.)

It is entirely possible and even likely that I have just lied to you.
Someone else please correct me if I have.

> Thanks,
*shrug*

gh