Storage limits in PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Hilliard
Subject Storage limits in PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm running into quite severe limits going into and out of PostgreSQL.
At first I was getting the "text string is too long" error message in
PostgreSQL. Then I upgraded to version 7.1 and that stopped. However, I
still got it in Cold Fusion Linux. Today I tried a test block of text
and measured where the cutoffs are. Here's the results:

ACTION: copy 109,128 characters into a phpPgAdmin "Edit" text entry box.

RESULT: phpPgAdmin cuts off the copy at 28,652 characters [no more
accepted in box]
UPDATE EMPTY text cell:
RESULT: accepted [that is, it accepted 28,652 characters]
QUERY cell with Cold Fusion
RESULT: 7,995 characters displayed.

Cold Fusion has an option called "Accept long text string" which is
checked in CF administrator. I can also set the number of characters as
high as 999,999. There can't be a low limit in the amount I can copy
because
I can copy over 700,000 characters locally.

Frank Hilliard
http://frankhilliard.com/