rtree index very large - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Zach
Subject rtree index very large
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I've inserted 100000 random boxes into a table and created a rtree index
on it. Indexing needed a few minutes and finally I got a 200MB page file
for the index. Can someone explain this to me?

BTW: I did the same with Oracle 8i Spatial and the index seems to be a
lot smaller. Selection time for geometric queries (non-empty
intersection with a box) is roughly the same - a few seconds for both
DBMS, but I don't have exact statistics.

I can guess a possible explanation for the smaller index in Oracle:
coordinates are rounded according the given accuracy, which could result
in smaller rtrees, but this is just a guess.

regards,

Christopher