Re: ssl connections with psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Chmara
Subject Re: ssl connections with psql
Date
List pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Christian Marschalek writes:
> > well i ment over apache (with php) to a database :o)
> Apache encrypts the connection to the web user, PostgreSQL encrypts the
> connection to the database user, which in this case would be Apache.
> I.e.:
> Web user ---SSL---> Apache ---SSL---> PostgreSQL
> Typically, in these setups, the Apache to PostgreSQL connection is over a
> trusted wire, such as a Unix domain socket, local loopback, or LAN, so SSL
> won't be necessary.  But if you run a database (not web) connection over
> the Internet then you might care.

For those reading this and assuming that using SSL is always a good thing,
SSL data connections are up to 100 times slower, as all of the data has
to be encrypted and decrypted by the server and the client. Running SSL
connections to the same server you're hosting the web pages on would be
a fairly interesting way of shooting yourself in the foot, but not useful
for much else.

-Ronabop

--2D426F70|759328624|00101101010000100110111101110000
Personal:  ron@opus1.com, 520-326-6109, http://www.opus1.com/ron/
Work: rchmara@pnsinc.com, 520-546-8993, http://www.pnsinc.com/
The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of myself,
my employers, or any of the other little voices in my head.