Re: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Howansky
Subject Re: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions
Date
Re: Re: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions  (adb <adb@Beast.COM>)
List pgsql-general
> [Interesting stats]
>
> > Wow, does WAL make so much of a difference as to make my
> > two-generations-old, built-from-spare-parts scrap box faster than my
> > latest and greatest production server? Yikes!
>
> What RAID level are you running?  RAID-5 isn't always very
> fast on writes.  That and WAL might be what's up.

Yes, it is RAID-5 on the big box. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare RAID
equipped boxes sitting around, so I can't experiment with the different RAID
levels. Still, you'd think that even a "slow" RAID-5 configuration would be
faster than a $98 IDE drive...

> Have you tried 7.1b5 on the big box?

Not yet, I'm waiting for a quiet weekend. I'll post my stats when (if...) I get
around to doing that.

--
Alex Howansky
Wankwood Associates