RE: ssl connections with psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject RE: ssl connections with psql
Date
List pgsql-general
Christian Marschalek writes:

> well i ment over apache (with php) to a database :o)

Apache encrypts the connection to the web user, PostgreSQL encrypts the
connection to the database user, which in this case would be Apache.
I.e.:

Web user ---SSL---> Apache ---SSL---> PostgreSQL

Typically, in these setups, the Apache to PostgreSQL connection is over a
trusted wire, such as a Unix domain socket, local loopback, or LAN, so SSL
won't be necessary.  But if you run a database (not web) connection over
the Internet then you might care.