Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Richards
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO
Date
List pgsql-sql
>>> Best web-scripting (and compiling) language is PHP+Zend
>>> compiler PHP is extremely powerful as it combines the power of
>>> Perl, Java, C++, Javascript into one single language and it
>>> runs on all OSes - unixes and Windows NT/95.
>>
>> it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
>
> I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he
> metions and for the Web, PHP is the best.

The comparison is neither scientific (nothing is quantified or
specified as criteria) nor is it accurate.

Since you've used all the languages, you should agree that there are
very few things in common with any of them or with PHP. Zend parses
the contents and compiles it into an optimised bytecode and executes
that. This bytecode can be cached.

PHP is server based and nothing runs on the client machine as in
JavaScript.

PHP is not a compiled nor an object oriented language as in C++.
There is no inheritance, polymorphism, or exception handling it has
little in common with C++, let alone taking the "powerful features"
from it.

Same deal with Java. PHP may be executed similar to a VM, but come
on, a JVM is not even close to PHP. On the JCL side of things PHP
lacks any sort of security manager, objects, reflection, exceptions
or platform independent bytecode. It has very little in common with
Java as well.

I build web email systems for a living and I find C++ works best for
me because my implementation is efficient, protects my source code
for outside licenses and allows me to use OOP within my CGI. For me,
it was the best of all mentioned. This is an opinion and I've stated
as to why I chose C++.

My opinion is a sharp contrast to what is written above. I could have
just said.

No, you're all wrong, C++ is the best.

That is not very helpful. Nor is the HOWTO because it is riddled with
not only statements like that, but also facts that are totally wrong.

PHP also does not run on all OSes. I'm sure if I sat down and looked
I could find a large number of platforms it does not run on. How
about MS-DOS? Xenix? OS/2? AS/400? Might be silly examples, but
still points out how silly the "runs on all OSes" statement is.

-Michael
Canadians