Re: SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>    SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS parameter value
> is really a more SQL'ish form of the current
>    SET parameter =/TO value
> Perhaps they should be made equivalent, in order to avoid too many subtly
> different subversions of the 'SET' command.

Hmm. What do you mean by "equivalent"? I assumed that the incredibly
verbose SQL99 form is not particularly gratifying to type, and that we
would be interested in a shorter version of the same thing. So I kept
the original syntax and just added the statements that SQL99 calls out
explictly. Also, our "SET" syntax has lots more keywords than specified
in SQL99...
                       - Thomas