Re: Table/Column Constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Table/Column Constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > I like this conversation as not a day goes by where I don't wish I could
> > edit the dump of a database rather than keeping structure entirely
> > seperate -- and actually do so in a useful manner.  That said, whats the
> > possibility of maintaining comments if the SQL dumps actually became
> > humanly editable?
>
> >From reading the pg_dump source code, pg_dump creates a set of 'COMMENT ON
> ...' statements that should recreate all the comments associated with an
> oid.  So - there shouldn't be a problem, should there?

I was thinking of SQL that looks something like:

/******************************** TABLE:  example** Used to accomplish stuff*/
CREATE TABLE example ( example_id  serial
/* Must be a ZIP or Postal Code */, region        varchar(6) UNIQUE                         NOT NULL
/* Descriptive text */, description varchar(60) NOT NULL);

I've always made the assumption that anything in the /* */ was dropped.