Re: web programming - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: web programming
Date
List pgsql-general
Michelle Murrain wrote:
> So what's your favorite web programming language to use with
> postgres, and why? Are there speed/performance issues I should think
> about? I'm also beginning to get into XML, so there is another set of
> things to think about.

AOLserver tcl.  Fast.  Easy.  Did I mention fast?

With ns_xml, nsjava, and nstomcat (and PHP4 as well, although you really
don't need PHP with the built-in TCL, unless you already have some PHP
code) available, as well as proven power and robustness (AOL is serving
an average of 28K hits per second on their AOLserver-based server farms
-- look at the architecture of Digital City for an example of what
AOLserver can do), AOLserver is an excellent, easy to learn and easier
to use platform to develop database backed websites on.

It's popular (see the netcraft survey and sum the results of NaviServer
and AOLserver -- not nearly as many as Apache or the other big ones, but
way more than Zope), and, did I mention, it's FAST!  The database speed
is directly attributable to the multithreaded persistently pooled
connection paradigm that AOLserver pioneered in 1995.

See www.aolserver.com for details, docs, and source.

See www.openacs.org for a web community toolkit for AOLserver and
PostgreSQL that includes everything -- even the kitchen sink.

I've run AOLserver longer than I've run PostgreSQL -- in fact, it was
the 'Postgres95' support by AOLserver that got me involved (for better
or for worse) with PostgreSQL, back in 6.1.1 days.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio