Re: web programming - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Titus Brown
Subject Re: web programming
Date
List pgsql-general
-> > So what's your favorite web programming language to use with
-> > postgres, and why? Are there speed/performance issues I should think
-> > about? I'm also beginning to get into XML, so there is another set of
-> > things to think about.
->
-> AOLserver tcl.  Fast.  Easy.  Did I mention fast?
->
-> With ns_xml, nsjava, and nstomcat (and PHP4 as well, although you really
-> don't need PHP with the built-in TCL, unless you already have some PHP
-> code) available, as well as proven power and robustness (AOL is serving
-> an average of 28K hits per second on their AOLserver-based server farms
-> -- look at the architecture of Digital City for an example of what
-> AOLserver can do), AOLserver is an excellent, easy to learn and easier
-> to use platform to develop database backed websites on.

There is also a module to build Python into AOLserver, as well.
http://pywx.idyll.org/.

We've been developing in AOLserver/PyWX for about three months now --
starting with programmers who didn't know Python, incidentally -- and
it works great.  At some point we'll probably take advantage of the
Java modules, but apart from that, all of the functionality available thru
Tcl is available in Python as well.

The latest release provides a complete Python wrap of the AOLserver C API,
by the way.

To specifically address your XML needs: Python has an *excellent* collection
of XML utilities.  E-mail me separately and we can talk about it (since it's
probably kind of off-topic for this list...)

cheers,
--titus