Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade
Date
Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 9 Oct 2018, at 16:22, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> Having hit the maximum socketdir length error a number of times in pg_upgrade,
>> especially when running tests in a deep directory hierarchy, I figured it was
>> time to see if anyone else has had the same problem?  The attached patch is
>> what I run with locally to avoid the issue, it adds a --socketdir=PATH option
>> to pg_upgrade which overrides the default use of CWD.  Is that something that
>> could be considered?
>
> I think you could simplify matters if you installed the CWD default value
> during option processing.

The attached v2 tries to make the socketdir more like the other configurable
directories in pg_upgrade (adding an envvar for it etc).  Is that more in line
with what you were suggesting?  make -C src/bin/pg_upgrade check passes with
this, both unmodified and with a -s in the test script to override it.  Also
fixed incorrect syntax in the docs part from v1.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment