Re: Update: mac.c update, patch now on ftp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Update: mac.c update, patch now on ftp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>  The code in mac.c does a LINEAR search, and the list is only going to
>  grow.  It's at 4110+ OUI's that are PUBLIC.).

Yuck. Let's put it into a (user loadable) table. And rather than having
macaddr_manuf(), we should just have a "sametype()" (or whatever) which
can compare an arbitrary mac address with another one. Then
 select brand from mactypes where '03:04:...' = macmask;

or at least
 select brand from mactypes where sametype('03:04:...',macmask);

would get you the right thing.

I can help with these internals, if that is the right way to head.
                   - Thomas