Re: 7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Perdue
Subject Re: 7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler
Date
Re: 7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler  ("Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Ross J. Reedstrom" wrote:
> Tim, why are you building a multikey index, especially one containing a
> large text field? It's almost never a win to index a text field, unless

This is not a key on a text field.

The keys are:

mail_list (example, the PHP mailing list=1)
mail_year (1999)
mail_month (July=7)

Yes it is a multi-key index, and the matches are exact.

Someone else asked why I have separated these fields out from the
mail_date.

If I didn't, and I wanted to see the messages for this month, I'd have
to regex and that would overwhelm the database.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge