Re: 7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: 7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tim Perdue wrote:

> This is a *big* help.
>
> Yes, the table is approx 10-12GB in size and running your length() and
> update queries is going to take a lifetime, since it will require a
> calculation on 4 million rows.
>
> This doesn't address the serious performance problem I'm finding in
> 7.0.2 for a multi-key select/order by/limit/offset query, which I sent
> in a separate email.
>
> Tim

If I recall correctly, Marc experienced similar performance
differences with UDM search after upgrading. The optimizer was
redesigned to be smarter about using indexes with both order by
and limit. Tom Lane, of course, knows all there is to know on
this. All I can ask is standard issue precursor to optimizer
questions:

Have you VACUUM ANALYZE'd the table(s) in question?

If so, hopefully Tom Lane can comment.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Mike Mascari