Re: initdb problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: initdb problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Brian E. Gallew" wrote:

> I'm on a RedHat6.1 box.  I've built from RC4 (all sources from
> tarball).  Builds/installs just fine, but when trying to do an initdb,
> I get this:
> [postgres@ioport postgres]$ initdb --pglib=$PWD/lib --pgdata=$PWD/data
>
> We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=17).
> This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
>
> Creating template database in /home/postgres/data/base/template1
> ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
>
> ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
>
>         syntax error 12 : parse errorinitdb: could not create template database
> initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /home/postgres/data/base/template1
>
> Perhaps something needs to be looked at before release...

You have old Postgres executables and/or libraries in your path,
presumably due to an existing RPM installation on the machine.

Make sure you are getting the right stuff and it should work just
fine. On my laptop, which has an RPM *and* a 7.0 development tree
under my own account, I just define the following things to get
transparent access to the development version:

setenv PGPORT 12000
setenv PGROOT ~/local
setenv PGDATA $PGROOT/data
setenv PGLIB $PGROOT/lib
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $PGROOT/lib
set path=($PGROOT/bin $path)

I just source this from a file, and the backend and psql fire up and
interact just fine.
                           - Thomas

South Pasadena, California