Re: suggestion: docs and psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: suggestion: docs and psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Hmm, we could try to mess around with that. I've been thinking about
> > extending the help display a little to include at least some narrative but
> > that almost requires a full SGML parser. Now, if someone wants to write a
> > DSSSL stylesheet for psql's purposes ... ;)

Hmm. We could convert the docs to XML (the wave of the future, someday
;), then start using XML for the frontend/backend protocol (I've read
that M$ and others claim to be doing this, though I'm not sure why
they want to take the hit on the fat ascii tagging typical with XML).

Once we've done that, then you can use the same XML parser and XSL
stylesheets to display help and display results from queries :))

>  Full syntax in one block is more nice not only for psql, but for native
> reading too. You not must scroll and search where syntax description
> contionue...

If you want, try it out with the sgml docs and we can see if it is
usable/readable. Worries about that are the only reason they are done
the way they are currently.
                      - Thomas

South Pasadena, California