Re: psql \l error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From SAKAIDA Masaaki
Subject Re: psql \l error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Looking at less generic answers, I suppose that psql could try to use
> > a 7.0-compatible query and fall back to a 6.5-compatible query if that
> > fails.  I imagine Peter will class this answer as "too ugly to live" ;-).
>
> Until there is at least a glimpse of error codes I'd say it's "too
> incorrect to live" ...
 (Example)
 A_server(6.5.3)           B_server(7.0)    |                         | ---+------------+------------+---- network
          |             C_server(7.0) + terminal

* Telnet-login is not permitted in A_server and B_server.* Telnet-login is permitted in C_server.(We use C_server's
psql)
In this case, we can not use \l and \df command for A_server.
Should we use 6.5.3 as a C server?

(If we use 6.5.3-psql, we can not use \df command for B_server, andwe can not display a database-encoding of B_server
when\l is used.)

--
Regard,
SAKAIDA Masaaki -- Osaka, Japan