Re: [HACKERS] Planning final assault on query length limits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Planning final assault on query length limits
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu> writes:
> >> Jan, does this mean that we can also lose the "rewrite string too big"
> >> problem with rules?
>
> >    No.  We have to have long tuples.
>
> > Darn.  Oh well, I guess this is a major step in that direction.
>
> I'm hoping that once this is done, someone who knows the guts of the
> storage managers better than I will feel motivated to work on letting
> stored tuples cross block boundaries.  (Paging Vadim...)  That seems
> to be the last piece of the puzzle.

You know that I'm busy with WAL...
And I already made some step in big tuples dirrection
when made memory/disk tuple presentations different -:)

typedef struct HeapTupleData
{   uint32      t_len;          /* length of *t_data */   ItemPointerData t_self;     /* SelfItemPointer */
HeapTupleHeadert_data;     /* */   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   On-disk data

} HeapTupleData;

I hope that something could be added here for tuple chunks...
TupleTableSlot.ttc_buffer (and ttc_shouldFree?) is good candidate
to be moved here from TupleTableSlot.

As for smgr part - it's not hard at all.

Vadim