Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date
Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 8, 2007 2:49 AM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> None of these points in here seem at all analogous to the important kind of
> style details like what Tom was pointing out about using GETARG_* at the top
> of your function to make the argument types clear.

I would love to see a Postgres style guide which includes both: things
that are peculiar to the Postgres codebase like GETARG, and an actual
standard on how to use whitespace, formatting and naming consistently.

If Postgres did have something akin to the Python C style guide, that
would be excellent.  But all we've got is a standard tabstop of four
spaces and the five words "Our standard format BSD style".  Don't you
think that comes across as pretty weak for a project of this size and
significance?

Cheers,
BJ