Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:

> If Postgres did have something akin to the Python C style guide, that
> would be excellent.  But all we've got is a standard tabstop of four
> spaces and the five words "Our standard format BSD style".  Don't you
> think that comes across as pretty weak for a project of this size and
> significance?

So you're saying we should adopt a code standard because it looks good?

White space and formatting issues just aren't that big a deal. It's
professional courtesy to submit a patch that follows the style of the
surrounding code, but we don't even insist on that for patches. We reformat
with pgindent periodically anyways.

It's like a doctor's practice concerned about malpractice claims publishing a
written guideline explicitly listing which articles of clothing aren't
professional looking enough.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning