Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have gotten some dates from the old Ingres and Postgres source code.
> Interesting how old these are:
>
>    PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database server.  It is
>    Object-Relational(ORDBMS), and is supported by a team of Internet
>    developers.  PostgreSQL began as Ingres, developed at the University
>    of California at Berkeley(1977-1985).  The Ingres code was  taken and
>    enhanced  by Ingres Corporation, which produced one of the first
>    commercially successful relational database servers.  (Ingres Corp.
>    was later purchased by Computer Associates.)  The Ingres code was
>    taken by Michael Stonebraker as part of a Berkeley project to develop
>    an object-relational database server called Postgres(1986-1994).  The
>    Postgres code was taken by Illustra and developed into a commercial
>    product.  (Illustra was later purchased by Informix and integrated
>    into Informix's Universal Server.)  Several graduate students added
>    SQL capabilities to Postgres, and called it Postgres95(1995).  The
>    graduate students left Berkeley, but the code was maintained by one of
>    the graduate students, Jolly Chen, and had an active mailing list.

http://www-are.berkeley.edu:80/mason/computing/help/manuals/postgres/c0102.htm
Postgres95
In 1994, Andrew Yu and Jolly Chen added a SQL language interpreter to Postgres, and the code was         ^^^^^^^^^
He should be mentioned as well...
subsequently released to the Web to find its own way in the world. Postgres95 was a public-domain,open source
descendantof this original Berkeley code.

You can find more about Ingres, Postgres and Postgres'95 at
http://search.berkeley.edu/.

BTW, what's the birthday of our project?
Andrew/Jolly stoped development ~ May 1996.
Mark, can you remember/find when you posted your historic
message to Postgres'95 mailing list?

Vadim