Re: [HACKERS] Mariposa commericalized by Stonebraker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Mariposa commericalized by Stonebraker
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Looks like Stonebraker has left Informix, and started a new company,
> Cohera(http://www.cohera.com/), that is commercializing Mariposa, which
> was a distributed database system developed at Berkeley from Postgres95.
> Mariposa never really got completed at Berkeley.  It was more of a proof
> of concept. Here is an article about it:
>
>  http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2233210,00.html
>
> The article is dated March, 1999.  The Berkeley page at
> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/source.html mentions, "Mariposa has been
> commercialized by Cohera Corp."
>
> You know, if the guy was smart, he would use PostgreSQL, and with our
> BSD license, there is nothing we can do to stop him.

How about removing OIDS from Postgres ;)

AFAIK Mariposa relies heavyly on OIDs (and possibly time-travel?) to
manage
the distribution of database. In fact it has double-length oids, where
one
dword is instance id of the DB instance where it originated and the
other
is our traditional oid.

For PostgreSQL, if I'm not mistaken, there have been plans to also
remove
OIDS in addition to already removed time-travel, both of them with a
pre-text that they are inefficiently implemented and can be later put
back in a better way.

---------------Hannu Krosing