Mariposa commericalized by Stonebraker

Date:
Looks like Stonebraker has left Informix, and started a new company,
Cohera(http://www.cohera.com/), that is commercializing Mariposa, which
was a distributed database system developed at Berkeley from Postgres95.
Mariposa never really got completed at Berkeley.  It was more of a proof
of concept. Here is an article about it:
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2233210,00.html

The article is dated March, 1999.  The Berkeley page at
http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/source.html mentions, "Mariposa has been
commercialized by Cohera Corp."

You know, if the guy was smart, he would use PostgreSQL, and with our
BSD license, there is nothing we can do to stop him.

There is also a company called MariposaTech at
http://www.mariposatech.com/.  Not sure what they do.  Seems they do
routers.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Mariposa commericalized by Stonebraker

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Looks like Stonebraker has left Informix, and started a new company,
> Cohera(http://www.cohera.com/), that is commercializing Mariposa, which
> was a distributed database system developed at Berkeley from Postgres95.
> Mariposa never really got completed at Berkeley.  It was more of a proof
> of concept. Here is an article about it:
>
>  http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2233210,00.html
>
> The article is dated March, 1999.  The Berkeley page at
> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/source.html mentions, "Mariposa has been
> commercialized by Cohera Corp."
>
> You know, if the guy was smart, he would use PostgreSQL, and with our
> BSD license, there is nothing we can do to stop him.

How about removing OIDS from Postgres ;)

AFAIK Mariposa relies heavyly on OIDs (and possibly time-travel?) to
manage
the distribution of database. In fact it has double-length oids, where
one
dword is instance id of the DB instance where it originated and the
other
is our traditional oid.

For PostgreSQL, if I'm not mistaken, there have been plans to also
remove
OIDS in addition to already removed time-travel, both of them with a
pre-text that they are inefficiently implemented and can be later put
back in a better way.

---------------Hannu Krosing

Re: [HACKERS] Mariposa commericalized by Stonebraker

From
Vadim Mikheev
Date:
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > You know, if the guy was smart, he would use PostgreSQL, and with our
> > BSD license, there is nothing we can do to stop him.
>
> How about removing OIDS from Postgres ;)

-:))

> For PostgreSQL, if I'm not mistaken, there have been plans to also
> remove OIDS in addition to already removed time-travel, both of them
> with a pre-text that they are inefficiently implemented and can be
> later put back in a better way.

My plan was (is) to make them optional.

Vadim