Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> http://www-are.berkeley.edu:80/mason/computing/help/manuals/postgres/c0102.htm
>
>  Postgres95
>
>  In 1994, Andrew Yu and Jolly Chen added a SQL language interpreter to Postgres, and the code was
>           ^^^^^^^^^
> He should be mentioned as well...
>
>  subsequently released to the Web to find its own way in the world. Postgres95 was a public-domain,
>  open source descendant of this original Berkeley code.

Gee, I didn't see that.  Thanks.  The new paragraph reads:

The Postgres code was taken by Illustra and  developed into a commercial
product.  (Illustra was later purchased by Informix and integrated into
Informix's  Universal Server.)  Two Berkeley graduate students, Jolly
Chen and Andrew Yu, added SQL capabilities to  Postgres, and called it
Postgres95(1994-1995).  They left Berkeley, but Jolly continued
maintaining Postgres95,  which had an active mailing list.

> You can find more about Ingres, Postgres and Postgres'95 at
> http://search.berkeley.edu/.

I used:
http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/

Choose 'database systems'.  Also inside that tree is:
http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/source.html

Which mentions Postgres, Postgres95, and Mariposa, and Ingres.  I have
asked him to add us to the "Other Databases" page Paul maitians.

> BTW, what's the birthday of our project?
> Andrew/Jolly stoped development ~ May 1996.
> Mark, can you remember/find when you posted your historic
> message to Postgres'95 mailing list?

I may have that somewhere, though the start of development was at the
beginning of July, perhaps July 3rd.

Pennsylvania19026