Re: postgresql and process titles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: postgresql and process titles
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Moving to osdldbt-general and dropping Tom and Marc.

On Jun 13, 2006, at 1:18 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:29:14PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
>> Unless supersmack has improved substantially, you're unlikely to find
>> much interest. Last I heard it was a pretty brain-dead benchmark.
>> DBT2/3
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/osdldbt) is much more realistic
>> (based
>> on TPC-C and TPC-H).
>
> Have you tried to compile this on FreeBSD?  It looks like it (dbt1 at
> least) will need a moderate amount of hacking - there are some Linux
> assumptions in the source and the configure script makes assumptions
> about where things are installed that cannot be overridden on the
> commandline.

Yeah, there's a number of issues that would need to be addressed. The
biggest problem as I see it is that all the framework to run tests is
pretty tied together, without any modularity. The run script itself
launches all the stats collecting stuff, assumes it needs to happen
on the local machine, etc.

There is consensus that this kind of thing needs to be done to
improve dbt*, it's just a matter of doing it. Also, it's desirable to
improve the benchmarks so that they can store results in a database,
and set them up so that the monitoring stuff is common to all the
different tests.