Re: [HACKERS] ecpg stuff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim B. Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ecpg stuff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Meskes, Michael wrote:

> Or we should change the declare/open behaviour in that it ignores the
> embedded SQL declare command and just sends the declare command when it
> finds an open. But then standard may say that the actual way is correct.

It seems that OPEN is in standard and this is really bad that we havn't
OPEN statement: using DECLARE we could plan query once and then
re-use this plan many times - OPEN, FETCH-es, CLOSE; OPEN, ...
Also, we could use queries with parameters (like in SQL-funcs: $1, ...)
in DECLARE and then assign parameter' values in OPEN and execute
cursor for different values.
Isn't this what Oracle allow ?

Vadim