Bug in evaluation of AND - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeroen van Vianen
Subject Bug in evaluation of AND
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[This email didn't show up on the list when I sent it last monday, so
here it is again].

Hi,

I found the following bug in sunday's snapshot (I am running Linux
2.1.85 and gcc 2.8.0):

I created a table with one column and inserted one row:

jeroenv=> create table test ( a int4 );
CREATE
jeroenv=> insert into test values ( 1 );
INSERT 321708 1

Some checks:

jeroenv=> select a from test where (a=1);
-
1
(1 row)

jeroenv=> select a from test where (a=1) and true;
-
1
(1 row)

Now, instead of column 'a' I return the constant 1:

jeroenv=> select 1 from test where (a=1);
?column?
--------
       1
(1 row)

jeroenv=> select 1 from test where (a=1) and true;
?column?
--------
(0 rows)

No rows is not what I would expect.

However, with 'or' instead of 'and' returning a const value the query
works OK:

jeroenv=> select 1 from test where (a=1) or true;
?column?
--------
       1
(1 row)

jeroenv=> select 1 from test where (a=1) or false;
?column?
--------
       1
(1 row)