Potential RC1-stoppers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Potential RC1-stoppers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm currently concerned about these recent reports:

* Joel Burton's report of disappearing files, 3/20.  This is real scary,
but no one else has reported anything like it.

* Tatsuo's weird failure in XLogFileInit ("ZeroFill: no such file or
directory").  I'm hoping this can be explained away, but probably we
ought to alter the code so that we can detect the case where no errno
is set by write() and avoid printing a bogus message.

Do people feel comfortable putting out RC1 when we don't know the
reasons for these reports?

Another thing I'd like to fix before RC1 is Adriaan's complaint about
mishandling of int8-sized numeric constants on Alpha.  Seems to me that
we want Alpha to behave like other platforms, ie T_Integer parse nodes
should only be generated for values that fit in int4.  Otherwise Alpha
will have different type resolution behavior for expressions that
contain such constants, and that's going to be real confusing.  I'm
thinking about making scan.l do
                   long x;
                   errno = 0;                   x = strtol((char *)yytext, &endptr, 10);                   if (*endptr
!='\0' || errno == ERANGE

#ifdef HAVE_LONG_INT_64                       /* if long is wider than 32 bits, check for overflow */
   || x != (long) ((int32) x)

#endif                      )                   {                       /* integer too large, treat it as a float */

Objections?