Re: Can't restart postmaster! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can't restart postmaster!
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Wampler <swampler@noao.edu> writes:
> FATAL 2:  ZeroFill(/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.16747) failed: No such file or directory

The error message is bogus --- almost certainly, the real problem is not
enough free space to create another 16-MB WAL segment.  (I have a TODO
item about making sure that this case doesn't return a misleading error
code...)

As for recovery, if you can't free any space elsewhere, try removing the
oldest (lowest-numbered) WAL segment file.  If the thing refuses to
start after you do that, you might have to resort to applying
contrib/pg_resetxlog, but don't do that unless you have to.

BTW, if you have WAL_FILES set higher than zero, set it back to zero
untill you're out of the woods.

            regards, tom lane