Can't restart postmaster! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Can't restart postmaster!
Date
List pgsql-general
I had postgresql die this morning because of lack of disk space
on /var (base grew to 422MB fairly quickly, and I'm not sure why
yet... pg_xlog is at 16450.

So, I thought I go in and look at some table sizes to try and
figure out what's so large, but I can't restart postmaster to
look at the tables!  Here's the log output:
postmaster successfully started
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-06-01 07:49:04 MST
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 821998612)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 821998612); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 251410; NextOid: 2612961
FATAL 2:  ZeroFill(/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.16747) failed: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 16747 exited with status 512 - abort
Sure enough, there is no xlogtemp.16747 in pg_xlog, just a file
"0000000000000030".

Is there anyway to recover from this?  There are some tables I can
safely remove and reconstruct, but other tables that I'd really
like to preserve.  However, with the new file naming scheme I can't
tell what's what without running pgsql (or equivalent), which
requires a running postmaster.

Thanks for any help!!

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu