Re: Blowfish Encrypted String - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Schlansker
Subject Re: Blowfish Encrypted String
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sep 26, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Craig Boyd <craigboyd0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dmitriy,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply!
>
> Right...got the the data type...but how do I actually insert a binary string into the column?  What does the SQL look
like?
> For the moment assume I have the following bit of binary: 4PO„âÔ™ä²
>
> What does the SQL look like to insert that into the bytea column?  (FYI...most of my binary data would be only
slightlybigger than what I just pasted here.  I am not storing Word documents or images, just some encrypted strings of
testthat are not more than 100 characters long and typically about 16 to 20.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/datatype-binary.html

Most client libraries will have functionality to do this nicely (e.g. sending a Java byte[] to a Postgres bytea); it
suckssomewhat to do it by hand in SQL.

> Thanks,
>
> Craig Boyd
>

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> 2013/9/26 Craig Boyd <craigboyd0@gmail.com>
> Hello All,
>
> I have a string in a program that I have encrypted using Blowfish and I am now trying to figure out the best way to
storethat in PostgreSQL so that I can store it and retrieve it later for decryption.  I have searched around and have
notfound some good examples of how to go about this.