Re: Advice on Database Schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jennifer Lee
Subject Re: Advice on Database Schema
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 13:07, Jennifer Lee wrote:
>
> > We have been proposed two database schema and are faced with
> > making a decision between them. I am fairly new to Postgresql and am
> > looking for advice on which would work best. Both would be done in
> > postgresql.
> >
> > Our database will hold lots of different data types and will be queried
> > frequently and have new data inserted rarely (in the long run). So we
> > would like to have it be most efficient with queries. Only a few users
> > would have permission to add data, most will only be allowed to query
> > the database.
>
> This is more a question of data modeling than PostgreSQL.
>
> If your database is queried morst often, 3NF normalisation will take
> care of speed. A nice clean logical structure will be fast.

Okay great, thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into this.

> Another influence is your front end - what will you be using for the
> requests?

That's great to know. We haven't developed that part yet, but have
talked about using Perl and SVG to make a web interface to the
database. Some other people here use this approach to their MySQL
database so we may try to adapt that. Do you have suggestions as to
what types of front ends might help speed things up? Nothing is set
in stone here yet.

We've just been proposed with the alternate schema and have to
decide which one we want to proceed with development. This is all
still in the very early stages and I'm hoping to get on the right path to
setting up this database. I've recently moved from the research side of
bioinformatics into database development and realize I still have lots
to learn about all this, your suggestions are greatly appreaciated.

Thanks so much for the response.
Jennifer