Re: Advice on Database Schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: Advice on Database Schema
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 13:07, Jennifer Lee wrote:

> We have been proposed two database schema and are faced with
> making a decision between them. I am fairly new to Postgresql and am
> looking for advice on which would work best. Both would be done in
> postgresql.
>
> Our database will hold lots of different data types and will be queried
> frequently and have new data inserted rarely (in the long run). So we
> would like to have it be most efficient with queries. Only a few users
> would have permission to add data, most will only be allowed to query
> the database.

This is more a question of data modeling than PostgreSQL.

If your database is queried morst often, 3NF normalisation will take
care of speed. A nice clean logical structure will be fast.

Another influence is your front end - what will you be using for the
requests?

Cheers

Tony Grant

--