"How do I ..." SQL question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From zeus@ix.netcom.com
Subject "How do I ..." SQL question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi there:

I have a "How do I..." SQL question regarding selecting
distinct values from a field not included in an aggregated
query when LIMIT is in effect, illustrated by the
following example:

Table a contains the names of individuals, the places
they have visited and the year in which they were visited.

Let's see who has visited where and when:

SELECT * FROM a;
name   place   year
------ ------- ------kim    north   2004kim    south   2003kim    south   2003bob    west    2004bob    west    2004bob
  west    2003joe    south   2004joe    south   2005sue    west    2004bob    east    2003joe    east    2004joe
east   2004sue    south   2004bob    north   2004bob    north   2005

Summarize data by number of places visited by year:

SELECT count(*) AS count, name, year FROM a GROUP BY name, year ORDER BY count DESC, name ASC;
count   name   year
------- ------ ------  3     bob    2004  3     joe    2004  2     bob    2003  2     kim    2003  2     sue    2004  1
   bob    2005  1     kim    2004  1     joe    2005

Return only four rows beginning at second row:

SELECT count(*) AS count, name, year FROM a GROUP BY name, year ORDER BY count DESC, name ASC LIMIT 4 OFFSET 1;
count   name   year
------- ------ ------  3     joe    2004 s,e,e  2     bob    2003 w,e  2     kim    2003 s,s  2     sue    2004 s,w

Select only places visited included in LIMITed query:

SELECT DISTINCT place FROM a ????;
place
-------southwesteast

Note that the place north does not appear in the last result
because north was only visited by bob in 2005 and kim in 2004,
records which are not included in the limited result.

Any help appreciated.

-Bob