Re: "How do I ..." SQL question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From PFC
Subject Re: "How do I ..." SQL question
Date
List pgsql-sql
  Return only four rows beginning at second row:

> SELECT count(*) AS count, name, year FROM a
>   GROUP BY name, year
>   ORDER BY count DESC, name ASC
>   LIMIT 4 OFFSET 1;
>
>  count   name   year
> ------- ------ ------
>    3     joe    2004 s,e,e
>    2     bob    2003 w,e
>    2     kim    2003 s,s
>    2     sue    2004 s,w
>
> Select only places visited included in LIMITed query:

Is this :
SELECT DISTINCT place FROM a,(
SELECT count(*) AS count, name, year FROM a   GROUP BY name, year   ORDER BY count DESC, name ASC   LIMIT 4 OFFSET 1
) as foo WHERE name=foo.name AND year=foo.year
Problem with this approach is that you'll have to run the query twice,
one to get the hitlist by user, one for the places...