mail + rfc822, rfc2822 + schema - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject mail + rfc822, rfc2822 + schema
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

i am thinking of doing a remote MUA web-based system,
based on postgresql.

The idea is to let uucp/sendmail do the job
of transporting the smtp mail to the remote site,
and then using an mbox parser at the site (i have already done that in
java),
to offload (remotely) the mail messages to the remote postgresql.

(I didnt want an IMAP, POP3 solution since POP3 dont make no sense
at all since the web and mail server will be the same machine,
and IMAP adds administrative overhead and deviates from our
wierdish custom J2EE jboss/postgresql authentication mechanism,
plus it gives features that we dont want at all - shared folders, etc..).

So since we want the email system to fit seemlessly into the rest
of the system, just like yet another app, the obvious was to think
of an postgresql based Store.

So, i'd like to know if any of you has designed a schema
serving as an mail storage.
If anything of caution arrose to you, and if you had something
to recommend.

By default i'll create a schema sufficient enuf to hold
as much as the javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage can give, and the
attachments.

Thanx.

--
-Achilleus