Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
Re: 8.5 release timetable, again  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
> ... That sounds a lot like the definition of a
> regression test suite.  Of course, we have that already, but it's
> nowhere near comprehensive.  Maybe we should be looking at an expanded
> test suite that runs on a time scale of hours rather than seconds.

mysql's got one of those, and I haven't noticed that it's kept their
defect rate down any.  Hour-long regression suites are the sort of
thing developers won't run.  Worse, regression suites are necessarily
designed to exercise only 100%-reproducible behavior.

> I don't think that any test suite is going to eliminate the need for
> beta-testing.

Precisely...

What I'd like to see is some sort of test mechanism for WAL recovery.
What I've done sometimes in the past (and recently had to fix the tests
to re-enable) is to kill -9 a backend immediately after running the
regression tests, let the system replay the WAL for the tests, and then
take a pg_dump and compare that to the dump gotten after a conventional
run.  However this is quite haphazard since (a) the regression tests
aren't especially designed to exercise all of the WAL logic, and (b)
pg_dump might not show the effects of some problems, particularly not
corruption in non-system indexes.  It would be worth the trouble to
create a more specific test methodology.

In short: merely making the tests bigger doesn't impress me in the
least.  Focused testing on areas we aren't covering at all could be
worth the trouble.