Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel Pouré
Subject Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le mercredi 26 août 2009 à 15:51 -0700, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> I doubt this would be an accurate description of all Drupal
> developers.

My opinion was :

Before adding replication to PostgreSQL, it would be better to support a
basic set of MySQL syntax seems relevant:

DELETE FROM table1, table2 FROM table1 INNER JOIN table2 ON ...
UPDATE table1, table1 SET table1.foo=1, table2.bar=3 WHERE table1.foo=2
INNER JOIN table2 ...,
etc ...

There is not much to add to PostgreSQL, but it seems relevant.

Otherwise, replicating some MySQL SQL syntax will not work.

As you know, people willing to use PostgreSQL replication are possibly
already MySQL replication users. So if they test and PostgreSQL fails,
this is too bad.

Drupal was only an example, I did not mean to criticize all Drupal
developers. Just to say they focus on PHP and not SQL. They don't have
time to port MySQL code. Besides, they are very nice people.

So I apologize for this short (false) focus.

Bye, Jean-Michel