Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel,

> The truth is that Drupal core developers do not believe fixing the
> prev/next link script is important. They don't care for SQL and don't
> understand the relationship between SQL queries and CPU cycles.

I doubt this would be an accurate description of all Drupal developers.The Drupal developers I've met have been very
intelligent;most don't

know much about SQL database, but then I know zero JavaScript so we're even.

The answer to this is to be educational and not confrontational.  And
submit patches ... to a current development version and not an old version.

> After reading my story, I hope we can agree that noone is going to port
> any MySQL code to PostgreSQL ever.

Again, the evidence is against you.

> So we should support a minimal set of MySQL SQL instructions.

In a loadable module, sure.  Patches?

> After several years of porting MySQL code to PostrgeSQL, I believe that
> this limited list is enough: http://drupal.org/node/555514

There's other stuff as well.  Also, see the updates people have made to
your list.

> can only compare it to Windows vs. GNU/Linux or
> FreeBSD. This is what comes in mind first.

Well, I don't use Windows either.  So that's a pretty weak argument with
me ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.