Re: CREATE TABLE AS SELECT hangs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CREATE TABLE AS SELECT hangs
Date
List pgsql-general
derek <jmorgan3@uwf.edu> writes:
> I am trying to populate/create a database with CREATE TABLE AS SELECT
> like so:

>     CREATE TABLE test_table AS
>     SELECT row_number() over() as gid, cells.geom
>     FROM test_geom_function(1,2,3) AS cells;

> This works on one database instance, but not on another. On the database
> it doesn't work on it seems to hang on executing and when I cancel it I get

>     ERROR:  canceling statement due to user request
>     CONTEXT:  while inserting index tuple (6,13) in relation
>     "pg_type_typname_nsp_index"
>     SQL state: 57014

Hmm (pokes around) ... That error context message seems to only be
possible if we were blocked waiting for some other transaction.
I theorize that you have an uncommitted transaction someplace that
has created the same table name.  Cancelling it would fix things.

            regards, tom lane