Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
Re: Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
At 04:41 PM 21-05-2001 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:

>    As  a  rule  of  thumb,  online  applications  that hold open
>    transactions during user interaction  are  considered  to  be
>    Broken  By  Design  (tm).   So I'd slap the programmer/design
>    team with - let's use the server box since it doesn't contain
>    anything useful.

Many web applications use persistent database connections for performance
reasons.

I suppose it's unlikely for webapps to update a row and then sit and wait a
long time for a hit, so it shouldn't affect most of them.

However if long running transactions are to be aborted automatically, it
could possibly cause problems with some apps out there.

Worse if long running transactions are _disconnected_ (not just aborted).

Regards,
Link.