Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Barry Lind wrote:

> >> 4. Split pg_log into small files with ability to remove old ones (which
> >>    do not hold statuses for any running transactions).
> >

> > They are already small (16Mb). Or do you mean even smaller ?
> > This imposes one huge risk, that is already a pain in other db's. You need
> > all logs of one transaction online. For a GigaByte transaction like a bulk
> > insert this can be very inconvenient.
> > Imho there should be some limit where you can choose whether you want
> > to continue without the feature (no savepoint) or are automatically aborted.
> >
> > In any case, imho some thought should be put into this :-)
> >
> > Another case where this is a problem is a client that starts a tx, does one little
> > insert or update on his private table, and then sits and waits for a day.
> >
> > Both cases currently impose no problem whatsoever.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but both cases do present a problem currently
> in 7.1.  The WAL log will not remove any WAL files for transactions that
> are still open (even after a checkpoint occurs).  Thus if you do a bulk
> insert of gigabyte size you will require a gigabyte sized WAL
> directory.  Also if you have a simple OLTP transaction that the user
> started and walked away from for his one week vacation, then no WAL log
> files can be deleted until that user returns from his vacation and ends
> his transaction.
   As  a  rule  of  thumb,  online  applications  that hold open   transactions during user interaction  are
considered to  be   Broken  By  Design  (tm).   So I'd slap the programmer/design   team with - let's use the server
boxsince it doesn't contain   anything useful.

Jan