Re: Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 04:41 PM 21-05-2001 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> >    As  a  rule  of  thumb,  online  applications  that hold open
> >    transactions during user interaction  are  considered  to  be
> >    Broken  By  Design  (tm).   So I'd slap the programmer/design
> >    team with - let's use the server box since it doesn't contain
> >    anything useful.
> >

> Many web applications use persistent database connections for performance
> reasons.
>
> I suppose it's unlikely for webapps to update a row and then sit and wait a
> long time for a hit, so it shouldn't affect most of them.
>
> However if long running transactions are to be aborted automatically, it
> could possibly cause problems with some apps out there.
>
> Worse if long running transactions are _disconnected_ (not just aborted).
   All   true,   but   unrelated.  He  was  talking  about  open   transactions holding locks while the user is off  to
recycle   some  coffee  or so. A persistent database connection doesn't   mean that you're holding a transaction while
waitingfor  the   next hit.

   And  Postgres doesn't abort transaction or disconnect because   of their runtime. Then again, it'd take care  for
half done   work aborted by the httpd because a connection loss inside of   a transaction causes an implicit rollback.

Jan