Re: Re: MySQL has transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Re: MySQL has transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
At 11:18 AM 1/24/01 -0500, Adam Lang wrote:
>There have been several recent benchmarks by non-mysql and postgres people
>and the speed argument does not seem to be valid.
>
>Even though MySQL still beats postgres in speed if they are compared with
>one user on the DB, postgres seems to destroy MySQL in speed as you tend to
>add users.

Things change, and they've changed quite quickly. Postgres 95 was abysmal.
And Postgresql 6.4 was subpar.

Lots of people used MySQL because there wasn't a decent alternative at that
time, and it was good at what it did.

When I first started running DBs on Linux, it was either MySQL or
Postgres95. And believe me MySQL won hands down. I had problems indexing a
400,000 row table on Pg95 - it took longer than I could wait, especially
since MySQL did it a lot faster :). Sure Pg had transactions etc but it was
way too slow to be practical.

When Postgresql 6.5 came out it, it was VERY MUCH better ( many many thanks
to the developers and all involved). And I'm waiting for a solid 7.1 to fix
that <8KB issue.

So give it a few years and maybe things will be different, maybe not. But
it's been a good journey so far :), whether you're on the MySQL or
Postgresql wagon (just duck the stuff being thrown about from time to time
;) ).

Cheerio,
Link.