Re: MySQL has transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wall
Subject Re: MySQL has transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
> Since my project timeline has a June release date I've been developing for
> Pg 7.1 and have been quite pleased with the results and stability so far.
> I believe it's pretty close to release now, so if your timeline allows for
> it you may wish to give it a try.

Thanks.  In fact, I've done just that after reading the release notes. I've
put in 7.1beta3, and it appears to be supporting large objects much better,
but it's harder to tell now because everything uses the OID for the name
(tables ,database).  It appears that the two files are no longer being
created.  I hope that this means the the large objects are also included in
the backup with pg_dump and they are automatically removed when the row
containing them is removed.

> I was afraid to use the then-alpha transactions in MySQL because "CHECK
> TABLE" and isamchk did not work for BDB tables. Hopefully this is resolved
now.

It does appear to be better now, but I've not spent too much time because I,
too, believe that Postgresql will be the better route for me.  I just need
to figure out if the JDBC driver will let me store small binary objects
using types like BYTEA.

David