Re: LO to text conversion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: LO to text conversion
Date
List pgsql-general
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Klimov" <ask@wisdom.weizmann.ac.il>

> Hi all.
>
> I need to store XML documents in database, so I use large objects for
> them. Now I have a problem: I want to search for patterns in documents,
> and it looks like there is no standard way to do it, so I write
> C function to do it, but it has limitation: it is not support regular
> expressions. Although it will be easy to use some library to handel
> them, but I know that PostgreSQL already has it.
>
> So, my question is: is there any function to search in lobjs? Another
> thing which would be enought is convertion of lo to text.

Don't think so - the objects are external to the DB. You could try 7.1 (in
beta at the moment) - that has TOAST to provide v.large text fields (seems
to work fine).

You might want to look at the full-text-index stuff in /contrib - something
based on that would probably be the way to go. Failing that, I know there
are some XML DBs out there somewhere. Presumably they are designed for this
sort of thing.

- Richard Huxton